Match Report

The road to Hampden for Queens was closed off for another season as Premiership side, Partick Thistle emerged as victors after an entertaining Scottish Cup 4th round clash at Palmerston. Backed by a large travelling support, the visitors scored in each half to avoid what could have been a potential cup shock, and although Queens worked their way back into the tie, they were unable to create enough clear cut scoring opportunities to really put their higher league opponents under enough pressure to earn a replay.

Todays mascot


There were four changes to the side that started at Inverness last weekend. Alan Martin returned in goal, Callum Fordyce was included following injury, and Myles Beerman and Ross Fergusson both made their first starts for the club as Queens started with a 3-4-1-2 formation.
The game got off to a bright start with both teams looking to attack and as early as the fifth minute a run and shot from Stephen Dobbie flashed just wide of the far post as Queens looked to build up a head of steam. The visitors responded with a quick break of their own when a cross from Booth was met on the half-volley by McGinn, but his effort went straight at Alan Martin. Queens next attack was rather more direct. Alan Martin`s long ball forward was headed down into the path of Dobbie by Fergusson, but Queens` leading scorer was unable to keep his shot on target.
The visitors started to have a bit more meaningful possession, and the creative play from both Edwards, and Erskine was beginning to reap rewards as their intelligent passing pierced through the Queens midfield on several occasions putting the Queens back three of Brownlie, Fordyce, and Rooney under increasing pressure, and a couple of corners in quick succession saw Thistle go close to breaking the deadlock. Firstly Keown headed over at the back post, and then following a short corner Lawless saw his goalbound effort blocked and then cleared as for the first time in the game, Queens came under pressure.
On twenty minutes a strong, surging run from Shaun Rooney saw him progress from the edge of his own penalty area to a position some 30-yards from goal, and when his run was ended by a rather crude challenge by McGinn- whose one intention was just to stop Rooney`s progress - it did seem rather strange that no yellow card was forthcoming. The free-kick was in a fairly decent position, although sadly from a Queens point of view, Dobbie was way off the mark with his effort.
Ross Fergusson went close to marking his first start a scoring one when he reacted quickly to get on the end of a slack back pass from Osman, but from a really tight angle and almost on the bye-line `keeper Cerny blocked his effort. The young striker certainly looked up for the challenge and five minutes later he went close again. Chasing a long ball down the right and pressurising defender Barton, he lobbed the ball over the advancing Cerny but his attempt lacked both pace and direction and Keown was on hand to clear. Five minutes before the break, Thistle almost opened the scoring when Keown met Spittal`s cross, but Alan Martin was alert and made a good stop, punching the ball to safety.
Fergusson denied by Cerny
The next 90 seconds were to be the defining moments of the first half. A wonderful cross field pass from Joe Thomson picked out the run of Scott Mercer down the right and when his pass inside found Dobbie it looked as though Queens might have a half-time lead, but although Dobbie did everything right his shot was just at the right height to allow Cerny to push the ball away for a corner. Unfortunately, that corner came to nothing, and seconds later following a very quick counter attack, the visitors took the lead. The break was led by Lawless who had acres of space in midfield and when he slipped the ball through to Sammon just inside the penalty box, the experienced striker produced a calm finish to give his side the advantage. There were a few half-hearted appeals for offside, but no favourable decision came our way and the teams went to the interval separated by that solitary Sammon strike.
Dobbie fires in an effort
The second half began with Partick on the front foot looking to add to their lead and when Lawless picked out Erskine with a cross from the left it appeared as though a second goal was on the cards, but Darren Brownlie produced an excellent challenge to thwart the Partick striker.
The first yellow card of the game was shown to Lyndon Dykes for a `rugby tackle` style challenge on McGinn, and then moments later Dykes was more productive as his speculative shot from distance wasn`t too far wide of the mark.
Having made the better start, the visitors and their impressive travelling support of over 1000 were stunned when from out of nowhere, Queens drew level. Chasing a ball down the left wing Ross Fergusson worked his way into the box and just when he appeared to be running out of space, he, and Queens got a huge slice of luck when after making a well timed tackle Keown saw the ball rebound off Fergusson and fly into the roof of the net giving `keeper Cerny absolutely no chance of stopping the ball. Thistle almost replied instantly when Sammon and Erskine combined, but the latter pulled his shot wide.
Fergusson watches as the ball heads for the top corner
Goal celebrations
On the hour mark Callum Fordyce was replaced by new on-loan signing from Newcastle, Kyle Cameron, and the defender was soon involved in the action as Queens came under strong pressure facing successive corners as Thistle looked to gain an advantage, and another Erskine shot was blocked and cleared as the pressure continued. The yellow card count was evened up when McGinn was cautioned for a foul on Dykes in midfield, and with 20 minutes to go Queens went to the bench for a second time as Connor Murray replaced Myles Beerman.
Having drawn level early in the half, Queens were rarely ever able to maintain any period of sustained attacking play, and only a few half chances arose during the second period the best of which came via a corner with 14 minutes to go. Good work from Thomson won us the set-piece and when Scott Mercer`s delivery picked out the run of Shaun Rooney, although he connected well with the ball, his glancing header flew just the wrong side of the far upright. It looked as though the teams would be heading to Firhill for a replay, but with just 8 minutes left, Thistle scored what turned out to be the deciding goal. Booth played the ball into Sammon inside the penalty area and via a slight deflection, the striker fired the ball past Martin to put his team in front for the second time in the game.
Our final change saw Andy Stirling replace scorer, Fergusson and although we pushed for a leveller, efforts from Dobbie, twice, and then Thomson never really looked convincing.
The majority of the attendance - just - of 2338, easily our best of the season, came hoping for a cup upset, sadly on this occasion it wasn`t to be as Queens fell just a bit short where it matters most, in front of goal.

  • Martin

  • Rooney

  • Fordyce


  • Brownlie

  • Mercer

  • Rankin

  • Dykes

  • Beerman


  • Thomson

  • Fergusson

  • Dobbie


  • Leighfield

  • Cameron


  • Stirling


  • Murray


  • Bell

  • Akubuine

  • Gourlay

Sorry, no highlights are available for this fixture yet.
Check out more videos on our Youtbue Channel
Sorry, no podcasts available for this fixture yet.

Check out more podcasts on our SoundCloud page
Clearing The Way
The ground staff and Under 20 squad deserve a lot of credit for their hard work in getting our William Hill Scottish Cup Fourth Round tie on yesterday.  With around four inches of snow on the pit ...

Read More ...
Road To Hampden Closes
The road to Hampden for Queens was closed off for another season as Premiership side, Partick Thistle emerged as victors after an entertaining Scottish Cup 4th round clash at Palmerston. Backed by a l ...

Read More ...
50-50 Draw Winner
Today's winner was James McDowall from Glasgow (Partick fan) his ticket 130537, winning him £350. ...

Read More ...
Partick Thistle Match Preview
This weekend we take a break from the Championship and welcome Premier League side Partick Thistle to Palmerston in the fourth round of the William Hill Scottish Cup. This year is the 10th anniversary ...

Read More ...
Partick Thistle Amended Match Arrangements
Partick Thistle have sold out of both their initial allocation of 800 tickets, and a subsequent extra allocation of a further 200 tickets for Saturday's Scottish Cup tie. Following discussions thi ...

Read More ...
Partick Thistle Match Arrangements
Following a pre-ops meeting this morning we can now confirm that there will be NO sale of tickets to Partick Thistle supporters on match day for next Saturday's Scottish Cup tie. This match is all ...

Read More ...
Scottish Cup Hospitality
Enjoy our three course Scottish Cup hospitality offer in the Tartan Lounge at Palmerston on Saturday 20th January when we play host to Premier League side Partick Thistle. Package A - £90 ...

Read More ...
Partick Thistle Match Arrangements
Our Scottish Cup tie with Partick Thistle will take place at Palmerston on January 20th at 3pm and the clubs have now agreed the following. Normal Palmerston League pricing will apply for this game as ...

Read More ...
For Real Time Updates Go To Our Updates Page
14:17 Welcome to Palmerston for today`s William Hill Scottish cup game against Partick Thistle.
14:24 Limited updates today but we`ll keep you posted on any goals etc
14:25 Qos Team : 1.Martin 2.Rooney 4.Fordyce 5.Brownlie 8.Rankin 11.Dobbie 12.Thomson 18.Fergusson 23.Beerman 24.Mercer 25.Dykes
14:25 Qos Subs : 6.Cameron 7.Stirling 17.Murray 19.Bell 20.Leighfield 22.Akubuine 26.Gourlay
14:27 Partick : 1. Cerny 3. Booth 5. Keown 6. Osman 7. Spittal 10. Erskine 11. Lawless 13. Barton 16. Mcginn 18. Sammon 19. Edwards
14:28 Partick subs : 12. Scully 2. Dumbuya 9. Doolan 20. Nisbet 21. Penrice 24. Mccarthy 39. Storey
15:00 Teams are out, we`re ready to go
1 min Three at the back today with Rooney and Brownlie either side of Fordyce. Mercer and Beerman the wingbacks
41 min Goal Partick. Sammon the scorer - QOS 0:1 Partick
42 min The ball breaks to sammon on the edge of the box and he holds off the defender before slotting past Martin to give Thistle the lead
Half Time HALF TIME - QOS 0:1 Partick
Half Time Thanks to the 2338 fans here today, including an impressive 1065 Thistle supporters.
55 min GOAL QUEENS. Fergusson the scorer - QOS 1:1 Partick
56 min Fergusson does well to power into the box and gets a huge slice of luck as the defenders challenge cannons off him and flies past Cerny
60 min Substitution : Cameron on for Fordyce
68 min Substitution : Murray on for Beerman
81 min Goal Partick. Sammon the scorer - QOS 1:2 Partick
82 min Sammon is allowed to turn in the box but his shot is heading through to Martin until a deflection wrong foots the keeper
82 min Substitution : Stirling on for Fergusson
16:48 FULL TIME - QOS 1:2 Partick
16:49 It`s Thistle who go through to the next round but it was an even game with chances for both sides